Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
Saturday, September 7, 2019
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
16 Church Hill
The parish dates from 1699 when the Anglican community of St. John’s petitioned the Bishop of London for help with the rebuilding of their church and to request a resident priest. This makes it one of the oldest parishes in North America. The first stone church was begun in 1843 under the direction of the first bishop of Newfoundland. The present Cathedral was begun in 1847 by the second bishop who commissioned plans from the leading Gothic Revival architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. On July 8th, 1892, the Cathedral was extensively damaged by fire but restoration began the following year and in 1895, the chancel and transepts had been rebuilt, while the nave reached completion in 1905 and included the largest collection of windows by C. E. Kempe in Canada. In 1981 the Cathedral was designated a National Historic Site and today continues to draw visitors from around the world.
Notice: Gentlemen and boys are asked to remove hats. Visitors are asked not to go beyond altar rails or stairs with a cord across. No eating or drinking in the Cathedral with the exception of water.
Partial accessibility, Public Washrooms, On-site parking, On-street parking.