Government House

Saturday, September 7
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

50 Military Road

Built between 1827 and 1831 by the Royal Engineers for Sir Thomas Cochrane, Government House was the official residence of the governor of Newfoundland until Confederation in 1949, when it became the residence of the lieutenant-governor. 

The building plans for Government House were drawn up in England.  As wages in Newfoundland were deemed too high, workmen from Scotland were engaged to construct the building and craft its interior and exterior details.  Consisting of a center block flanked by two lower wings, the building's exterior is of rough, red sandstone quarried at Signal Hill, trimmed with English Portland stone.

Accessibility for persons with disabilities affecting mobility, On-street parking.

© 2019 Newfoundland & Labrador Historic Trust