St. Patrick's Church

Saturday, September 7
Noon - 3:00 pm

6 Patrick Street

With its single majestic tower, vertical proportions and bold, simple massing reflecting the interior spaces, St. Patrick's is a fine example of a Roman Catholic parish church built in the Gothic Revival style. John T. Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland, commissioned its design in 1853 from the prominent Irish architect J. J. McCarthy of Dublin. The church was built over time, from the laying of the cornerstone in 1864 to its completion in 1912. Inside, the building's exposed wood roof and simple plan of nave, side aisles and rectangular chancel are also characteristic of this type of church.

Accessibility for persons with disabilities affecting mobility, On-street parking.

© 2019 Newfoundland & Labrador Historic Trust